SENIOR MEDICAL DIRECTOR - EMS
Alberta Health Services is committed to providing services based on the population needs of Alberta while promoting a shared responsibility for improved health.
The Senior Medical Director (SMD) works in a dyad relationship with the Chief Paramedic/Senior Provincial Director to provide operational, medical and clinical leadership to the Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Program. The SMD shall be proactive in the strategic development of projects and services, in partnership with the EMS Senior Leadership Team, to maximize the benefit of EMS to the Province as a whole.
Ideally, this position will be based in either Edmonton or Calgary with occasional provincial and national travel required.
The working title will be Senior Medical Director, Emergency Medical Services.
ACCOUNTABILITIES / DELIVERABLES
In partnership with the Chief Paramedic, the Senior Medical Director, EMS is responsible for developing, implementing and operating a provincial emergency medical services model. In addition, as a key member of the EMS Senior Leadership Team (SLT), the SMD is accountable for all operational and strategic AHS issues and decisions requiring physician or leadership that arise within the Emergency Medical Services portfolio.
In a competent and professional manner, the Senior Medical Director will:
1. Actively participate in the ongoing development and implementation of a provincial EMS strategic plan including pre-hospital emergency response, dispatch services, inter-facility transfers, Community paramedics, and provincial air ambulance;
2. Be accountable for the provision of clinical oversight for EMS professionals employed by or affiliated with AHS, including required clinical policies and medical control protocols;
3. Jointly oversee the provincial strategic plan including pre-hospital emergency response, dispatch services, inter-facility transfers and provincial air ambulance;
4. Liaise regularly with the Alberta Health Provincial Medical Director, and department staff in the development of the provincial EMS program;
5. Oversee the ongoing development of a Provincial EMS quality assurance and improvement program;
6. Provide administrative leadership, including performance management, coaching and mentoring of the AHS EMS Zone and Associate Medical Director team;
7. Serve as Co-Chair of the EMS Research Committee. Receive, review and approve EMS research projects within the guidelines of the Committee. Provide leadership and guidance to the EMS Research program.
8. Actively participate with other AHS strategic and operational portfolios, including Strategic Clinical Networks, the Chief Medical Officer and the AHS Senior Leadership Team, to deliver the AHS mission of a patient-centred health system with focus on Access, Quality and Sustainability.
The Emergency Health Services (Interim) Regulation (2009) establishes the medical oversight structure for EMS in Alberta. The Regulation identifies the Provincial Medical Director and medical directors within the health region. The Provincial Medical Director is the highest level of medical oversight authority and is responsible to work with regions to develop, establish, and maintain medical care protocols, oversee direction provided by health region medical directors, and may make directives regarding medical care and oversight of the EMS system.
The Regulation defines a medical director's qualifications as:
S. 9(2) A regional health authority must not employ or engage a person as a medical director unless that person; (a) is a physician who is registered as a medical practitioner under the Medical Profession Act within Alberta and who is not under suspension, (b) has emergency department privileges in an Alberta hospital, and (c) has completed the National Association of EMS Physicians (NAEMSP) Medical Director course, or an equivalent course or program, or has equivalent experience
Duties of a medical director
S10 Every person who is employed or engaged as a medical director under this Regulation must; (a) consult with the Provincial Medical Director on the development and maintenance of medical protocols when requested to do so by the Provincial Medical Director, (b) provide direction to an ambulance attendant (ambulance) or ambulance operator, (c) monitor compliance with the direction provided to an ambulance attendant (ambulance) or to an ambulance operator in the and manner required by a regional health authority or the Provincial Medical Director, and (d) comply with any directive issued, or reporting requirement made, by the Provincial Medical Director.
In the Alberta Health Services context, the Senior Medical Director is the of EMS medical oversight who oversees all AHS EMS medical Directors, and liaises consults with the Provincial Medical Director to ensure AHS meets expectations and requirements under the Emergency Health Services Act.
1. Specialist Certification through the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, or a Certificate of Special Competence in Emergency Medicine through the College of Family Physicians of Canada, or equivalent. Licensed (or eligible for licensure) to practice Medicine in Alberta.
2. A practicing Emergency Medicine clinician with at least 5 years of front-line experience.
3. Demonstrated progressive experience as an EMS Medical Director
4. Completion of the National Association of EMS Physicians (NAEMSP) - EMS Medical Director Program (or equivalent)
5. Preference for completion of an EMS Fellowship.
6. Graduate level degree in health, business or related discipline would be considered an asset.
7. Health care leadership training or experience. Completion of Physician Leadership Institute programs with acquisition of the Canadian Certification in Physician Leadership designation or certificate would be an asset.
8. Experience within a Provincial Ground Ambulance, Air Ambulance, Dispatch/Online Medical Control environment would be an asset.
HOW TO APPLYhttp://doctorjobsalberta.com/Jobs.TBD.Senior-Medical-Director,-EMS.20181009.aspx