Come join the collegial Emergency team in Williams Lake! In this rural community, you can still practice emergency medicine - full time - without CCFP-EM. We see a broad range of interesting cases involving numerous procedures and we are well supported by specialists in Internal Medicine, Ob/Gyn, General Surgery, Pediatrics and Psychiatry. Emergency experience would be an asset but we have the capacity to mentor new Canadian graduates or international graduates.
The Cariboo Memorial Hospital (CMH) is a 31-bed hospital serving a population of approximately 16,000, and we see ~22,000 ER visits/year. Our 24/7 Emergency Room is staffed with six full-time emergency physicians.
CMH also offers an intensive care unit, operating rooms, medical-surgical and obstetrical units, and ambulatory care services. Other services at the hospital include stress testing, lab and diagnostic imaging (including echo and CT scanning), out-patient hemodialysis and a five-bed psychiatric crisis stabilization unit.
GPs who want to also have community work will be considered but preference is for full time GP ER interest. Candidates are free to choose whether or not to later challenge the CCFP EM exam. You would have 11-12 shifts/month (hours vary from 8-12 hours) with an option to pick up extra shifts as they become available. We schedule overlap during particularly busy times. The successful applicant can expect a highly collaborative and interactive medical setting as well as involvement in teaching medical students.
Williams Lake has all amenities, including a local college, an airport, and a variety of fitness and outdoor opportunities. You can’t beat the lifestyle as a family physician whether in your practice or for your family.
For more information about the general community and the medical community, please see this link to the Divisions of Family Practice web site for our area! https://www.divisionsbc.ca/cird.
- Eligible for The College of Family Physicians of Canada Cert. (CCFP)
- Doctorate in Medicine
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support Certification (ACLS)
- Advanced Trauma Life Support Certification (ATLS)
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support Certification (PALS)
- Emergency experience
- ER Experience desired but new grads welcome, mentoring available
- Hours of work: Full time; shifts vary
- On call requirements: Shift work
- Payment Structure: Fee for Service
- Estimated Gross Income: Estimate of $300K
- Please enquire for details/sources of income.
- Recruiting bonus for full time: $15,000
- Relocation: $9,000 - $15,000 based on move location
- Fee premium of 11.28%
- Annual flat retention: $11,260
- CME to max of $4,840/year after 4 years All rural incentive rates are subject to change and are determined by a provincial body, not by the health authority.
- Candidates with a BC or Canada student loan may be eligible for BC or Canada loan forgiveness programs